The Oratory

St. James's Cemetery Liverpool

Web Photo Gallery created by the Friends of Liverpool Monuments. The information and some of the images are taken from a publication ‘The Oratory, St James’s Cemetery Liverpool’, written by Joseph Sharples in 1991, produced by: Board of Trustees of the National Museums & Galleries on Merseyside. Most of the images taken by Pat Neill. © 2009 FOLM

Liverpool Monuments
  St James's Cemetery, before 1834.
(Liverpool City Libraries: Binns Collection)


Aquatint by W. Read after T.T. Bury. A view across the northern end of the cemetery with part of the Oratory in the right foreground. The artist has given the building an exaggerated grandeur by placing miniature figures beside it. In the background a funeral procession is descending Foster's sequence of ramps and terraces. The incomplete row of houses on the far side of the cemetery is Gambier Terrace, believed also to have been designed by Foster whose father had planned the residential development of this area as early as 1800.